Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Welcome to Barcelona

I'm writing this post from my homestay. It's a little after midnight here and I've had a pretty full day.

The flight was smooth and I got 5-6 hours of sleep in (thanks to ZzzQuill). Dinner on board was gross, but breakfast was actually good. The flight was a little over nine hours from Miami and we arrived about 9:30 a.m. There were quite a few studentes in the same program as me on my flight, which made it easier to navigate around the airport once we arrived.

Rachel prepping her pillow for the flight

We underwent an orientation process after getting our bags. Then, I took a taxi with my roommate to our apartment. We aren't far from the city center in a pretty nice neighborhood with a lot of restaurants, a supermarket, etc.

Our house mother, Maria, is an older lady who seems really nice. She hardly knows any English, which is good because that will require me to learn more Spanish. She doesn't start cooking for us until tomorrow, so you'll have to wait and see how the food is.

After lunch and a siesta, I met my resident assistant, Miquel, who took me, along with my roommates and his three other residents, to the IES Center (where we will take classes) and showed us around a little bit. Out of all the Spanish cuisine for us to try, we decided to eat hamburgers. In Texas, there are many places to grab a good burger, so I'm a tough critic. The burger I ate tonight was different than the typical American burger, but it was really good.

Spanish Hamburger

Tomorrow we will begin the full orientation process, and I am planning on exploring the city some more. I'm interested to see how jet lagged I am considering I've hardly experienced any thus far.

Here's a look at some of the architecture.