Wednesday, May 22, 2013

First Full Day

Today was our first full day in Barcelona. It all began with two pieces of toast and Nutella. I then went to Corte de Ingles, which is basically a shopping mall. I went on the search for several things, including a house shoes (customary in Spain), water bottle, power adaptor, and a cell phone (the most important thing on that list). I was able to find the power adaptor, but not the others.

I then went to orientation for my Spanish class, which was boring and pointless. Later came lunch and then a trip to a different cell phone store, where I got a pretty good deal and this gem of a phone:

My phone for six weeks
Now, the good news is that I will only be using it to communicate with fellow students in Spain, and only when I don't have wifi to use my iPhone. In addition, I will only be using it for a few weeks. But come on, it doesn't even have a camera. Europe needs to step their game up in the cellphone world.

After a welcome reception on the terrace at IES Barcelona, where we ate sandwiches and had a glass of vino or two, I went back to Corte Ingles with a few friends. I then came home for dinner, which was the first time i tried Maria's cooking.  The food we ate was good, but different than typical American cuisine. The menu consisted of:


  • Fried ham with cheese
  • Toast
  • French Fries
  • Pasta with pesto
  • Ice cream sandwiches.
If this is the type of dinner we eat every night then I will definitely need to take up running while here. Otherwise, I'll probably need a seatbelt extender on the flight home.

This is a great city with a lot to do. On that note, it's time to go check out the discoteca.