Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day en España

Happy Memorial Day to everyone in America. I have spent part of today reflecting on how great it is to be an American, even though I"m a few thousand miles away. Europe is great, but it is even better to be from the greatest nation on earth. Several of the people I know on the program, including my roommate, are wearing their patriotic clothing today.

This weekend was pretty busy. I realized that I didn't bring enough pants, so I spent a lot of time trying to get more. Not sure why this was difficult, but it was. Nonetheless, El Corte Ingles came to the rescue.

I was going to meet some friends Saturday night for a tour of some of Barcelona's nightlife. I was on time and thought I knew what metro stop to get off. However, it was actually on a different line and I was far from my destination. This resulted in me running back to the metro, then running to the bus so I could meet them. I made it, but barely. This definitely taught me that I need to determine my route on Google maps every time I am going somewhere new. I'm happy I made it because the tour was really fun.

I slept late on Sunday, but ventured out in the afternoon. We went to Gaudí's Casa Batlló. This is a really cool building not too far from Plaza Catalunya. It's much more than just your average building though, as it is modern even for today's standards. I have never been inside a building so unique and with so many details. Everything was thought out and had a purpose. Yesterday, we were talking about how so many aspects of this masterpiece were left open for interpretation. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera and phone when I visited Casa Batlló, but I've included a few pictures from the Internet. (This also taught me a lesson: take a camera [phone] everywhere)

Outside Casa Batlló
(Source: olympicwanderings.com)

Inside Casa Batlló. There are many sources of
natural lighting in the building
(Source: olympicwanderings.com)

It was dinnertime after Casa Batlló. Sadly, Walker Texas Ranger is only on Monday-Friday, so hopefully that will be on during dinner tonight. The food is different, but I like it. I've only had McDonalds once since being here...please don't judge me. I went to the Magic Fountain of Montjuïc with some friends after dinner. This was probably my favorite site so far. I can almost guarantee it's better than any fountain in Vegas. The water and lights are in sync with music most nights, bringing many visitors to Plaza España.





My Spanish is continuing to improve, so that is helping things. School is getting in swing too. I started my International Business class today and it looks like it will be fun. We're even taking a field trip to Casa Bacardi at the end of the semester.

UPDATE: Tonight at dinner I learned that it's customary to finish everything on your plate. I didn't want to eat my bread with cheese, tomato, and ham, so I get to eat that for breakfast tomorrow. Wish me luck.